"Our greatest responsibility is to be good ancestors."

-Jonas Salk

Friday, September 28, 2007

WIRED Correlations

I may have referred you to Wired Magazine in the past, on occasion, but I will no longer do so. I must henceforth refer you to "WIRED" magazine. The all-caps rendition is a sort of concession to the fact that they are, at least indirectly, paying me a few dollars.

In association with the PBS TV station KCET, a new popular science TV show is starting called "Wired Science", oops, "WIRED science". I've seen the pilot and it's not bad at all. Of course, given the connection to WIRED, they need some sort of interactive media angle. One low-hanging fruit of course is to start a blog. They asked around for science bloggers who were interested in and capable of reaching a broad audience and somehow ended up with me, among others. Now it's a bit odd that they ended up with me. I've never thought of "In It" as appealing to a broad audience, though it largely discusses how to reach a broad audience.

Well, now I get to put up or shut up. There are professional promotional dollars here, and even (full disclosure) a modest recompense for me. So we'll see if all my thinking about reaching a broad audience has resulted in any actual, you know, skill.

Unfortunately there is already a "WIRED Science" blog at wired.com, so we had to come up with another name, and under time pressure settled on Correlations. So this is to announce that I'll be doing genuine outreach on the Correlations blog associated with WIRED Science on television.

"In It" fans should not be concerned. "In It" is not going away or changing substantially. I'm just going to be putting a few extra brain cells into a bit of pop science every week. Cross-linking to and from "In It" may be expected, but I will try to stick with the existing tone and content of this blog here.

More about Correlations can be seen at co-correlator Tara Smith's blog.

I look forward to conveying the substance of climate science and computational science to a broad audience without worrying too much about the noise factor.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't think for a moment that this means you are going to get any respect...
:)

But seriously; well done, and good luck.

Anonymous said...

"correlation" is a right wing hotbutton for "correlation is not causation" and septic thinking that therefore anthropogenic global warming is not true...

You will encounter this meme probably very quickly.