"Our greatest responsibility is to be good ancestors."

-Jonas Salk

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Doing it Right

OK, so I griped about a graphically attractive but shallow effort to use information technology to communicate. Being negative isn't really enough, though, if you can avoid it.

Do I have any examples that I can be enthusiastic about? You betcha.



Update: Another excellent instance of web-based communication of complex concepts is here, this one regarding the relative sizes of very small objects. Others?

1 comment:

jg said...

A stunning example. The presenter adds one more dimension, that of a good storyline.

Regarding your invitation for other examples, these aren't of the same quality, but I invite you to have a look at a couple of my projects. Some time ago I asked you about orbital changes, and I created this program to collect and illustrate what I continue to learn:

orbit changes

I just added real data to it and your topic seems like a good place to share.

A second project was inspired by the numerous anti-science letters that appear in my local newspaper. I'm adding summaries of any research paper I get that can be tagged in geologic time here:

geological timeline

As I continue to work on these, I figure it's helpful to get criticism sooner rather than later.
These may be too amateur for your topic, so post my comment at your discretion.
thanks,
jg