"Our greatest responsibility is to be good ancestors."

-Jonas Salk

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Kepler Discovered Ellipses: A Dunning-Kreuger Illustration in a Facebook Chat

Spot the intellectual bullying.


Check out my FB timeline, and decide for yourself whether I have a valid viewpoint...


I welcome civilized intellectual debate!
4 hours ago
... it's not like I haven't heard this stuff before. In my (informed, and yes I do have a PhD in climate science, actually) opinion you are very confused. I've been trying to fight back the forces of confusion for decades. I am sure you mean well, but you are just wrong, and I can't just engage with every person who is wrong that I encounter, especially on a closed medium like Facebook. There isn't enough expertise to go around as it is. Those of us who actually get it have to choose our battles carefully.

I hope you eventually find some more credible source of information.


Sigh.
I have a degree in agricultural science from ([university elided to protect identity]) then worked as a government science writer, and technical journalist in another contentious area, agricultural chemicals, for many years. Then in the US I actually worked on the [famous] lab, as a visualization artist, but had access to all the scientists, and interviewed them in the course of my work.

You are in a scientific backwater when it comes to this stuff, deal with it...

Many NASA scientists agree with my views, but recognize they face excommunication, and professional suicide for agreeing with me...
Time will tell, the truth will come out eventually.
Agree with that. Unfortunatley if we dawdle on policy until the worst is obvious, the worst will already have happened
Plus there's all the delays in the system
Copernicus thought he was the center of the universe too...
So "the truth will out" is not reassuring
huh? Copernicus thought we weren't the center.
that was the whole point.

That is my point --- he thought we were the center and everything revolved in circle around us,

Ellipses were beyond him.
You even get Copernicus wrong!

Kepler. He sdiscorved ellipses...

discovered
"Nikolaus Kopernikus; 19 February 1473 – 24 May 1543) was a Renaissance mathematician and astronomer who formulated a model of the universe that placed the Sun rather than the Earth at its center.[a] The publication of this model in his book De revolutionibus orbium coelestium (On the Revolutions of the Celestial Spheres) just before his death in 1543 is considered a major event in the history of science, triggering the Copernican Revolution and making an important contribution to the Scientific Revolution."

IE what is not the "obvious" answer" is not always the truth...
I am interested in risk management.
At the moment I am at risk of getting into a long conversation that is of no benefit to any of us.

Kepler explained "retrograde" motion in planets...

Not the obvious, beyond the obvious.
Good luck in your endeavors. Signing off.

CO@ is like that.

Chickshit. Deal with Kepler.

Chickenshit I believe is the proper term. Sorry for the typo...

You seem to be nothing more than an intellectual bully. Good luck to you also. Time will tell indeed.

PS just checked out you website with it's focus on Mueller - you are so in the dark ages when it comes to this stuff. This guy is a nuclear scientist, with huge ties to the nuclear energy, he is claining a change of heart based on self interest, little more....

nuclear energy industry

claiming

YOUR website...


lol.


1 comment:

manuel moe g said...

Amazed at your patience, as always.