"System change is now inevitable. Either because we do something about it, or because we will be hit by climate change. '...

"We need to develop economic models that are fit for purpose. The current economic frameworks, the ones that dominate our governments, these frameworks... the current economic frameworks, the neoclassical, the market frameworks, can deal with small changes. It can tell you the difference, if a sock company puts up the price of socks, what the demand for socks will be. It cannot tell you about the sorts of system level changes we are talking about here. We would not use an understanding of laminar flow in fluid dynamics to understand turbulent flow. So why is it we are using marginal economics, small incremental change economics, to understand system level changes?"

Monday, November 9, 2015

This morning's tweets

I think I was on. Nothing you haven't heard before, but in pithy quotable 140-character chunks. Kicked off by my pointing Fab at my article CO2 On Trial





5 comments:

Steve Bloom said...

What did you learn from this exchange?

Michael Tobis said...

About Fab? He's drank the kool-ade. Nothing to be done about him as an individual.

Not an exchange really. I just wanted to keep some of my pithy quotes form vanishing down the Twitter memory hole.

Mal Adapted said...

Michael, your "CO2 on trial" piece was magnificent. I agreed with every word of it! You have a rare ability to get to the heart of the matter succinctly. If only you had a larger audience 8^(!

Michael Tobis said...

Thanks immensely, Mal.

I need to develop self-promotion skills even though I really hate tooting my own horn very much.

andthentheresphysics said...

About Fab? He's drank the kool-ade. Nothing to be done about him as an individual.
Yes, I think he has. It's unfortunate because - as you've said - some of his writing is pretty good, but he seems to have a real blindspot when it comes to this topic. It's hard to take someone seriously when they're so misinformed about a topic you think you understand. Also, the whole Rick Santorum incident didn't do him any favours.