"Our greatest responsibility is to be good ancestors."

-Jonas Salk

Monday, July 16, 2007

Attention Mayor Wynn

Bicycles are good enough for Paris. When will they be good enough for "green leader" Austin?

Jean-Luc Dumesnil, who is an adviser in City Hall on cycling policy, said that while the number of bicycles on the streets increased by 50 percent in the last six years, the number of cycling accidents remained stable.

“It’s the cycling paths, but it’s also a question of critical mass,” Mr. Dumesnil said. “The more bikes there are, the more car drivers get used to them and the more care they take.”

1 comment:

Heiko said...

You really need to move to the Netherlands ;-) There is a law here that basically says that cyclists are presumed innocent, and car drivers presumed guilty, unless proven otherwise when there's accident.

Incidentally, if you are wondering why I've still got my Aston address, I am still employed by Aston on a part time basis for a few more months. I'll have to get rid of that address sometime soon for things like blogger but haven't yet bothered. Also, in the Netherlands I don't have internet access, except at work, and the internet use policy there is quite restrictive, so I don't use it there for accessing blogs or global change. Consequently, you'll find some long silences from me over the next few months.