"Our greatest responsibility is to be good ancestors."

-Jonas Salk

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Still Nothing About Polar Bears Here

My feed from the wonderful NASA Earth Observatory web series today looks like this:


News: Melting Ice Drives Polar Bear Mothers to Land
News: Volcanic Mudflow Witnessed in New Zealand
News: Faults’ Structure May Dampen Earthquakes

The last two links work normally, but the first one yields

The requested URL /Newsroom/MediaAlerts/2007/2007071225366.html was not found on this server.

Also I can't find any mention of the first one on their website. Of course, since speaking for myself I do not understand the Administration's position on polar bears, I therefore have nothing to say myself on the matter, but I am always interested to hear from those who are licensed to have Polar Bear Positions. Perhaps this does not include NASA.

I wonder whether the non-appearance of this item announced on my newsfeed is some sort of a glitch, or whether it has something to do with the present Administration's tight controls on matters of Polar Bear Security.

Update: Thanks to Coby's diligence and Googling "polar bears" site:usgs.gov I was able to find the source of the story here. Readers may wish to read it for their own interest. I personally will continue to say nothing about polar bears until I understand the Administration's position.

3 comments:

coby said...

FWIW, this page has this blurb:
===============
Melting Ice Drives Polar Bear Mothers to Land
July 12 — Melting sea ice is driving mother polar bears onto dry land to give birth in northern Alaska, U.S. Geological Survey scientists reported – with 37 percent of polar bear dens built on sea ice between 1998 and 2004, compared to 62 percent between 1985 and 1994. (Reuters)
================

No link though, and all the other blurbs have a "more" link.

Anonymous said...

That Reuters article they didn't link to is here.

Anonymous said...

Did you see yesterday's press release by Ontario's Ministry of Natural Resources? Its subheading may be of interest, by way of contrast with our federal government's approach.

P.S. Now back to my current Berkshire flooding project, which goes to prove that some problems do not disappear if we ignore them … they just worsen!