"Our greatest responsibility is to be good ancestors."

-Jonas Salk

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Greenland Eemian Ice Core Nears Completion

I received a tweet apprising me of the near-completion of the field work of NEEM, the North Greenland Eemian Ice Drilling project. This will give us new information about the previous interglacial, when most of Greenland in fact melted.

Fair warning, though, there's an embedded auto-play movie of no real interest on the "about" page that is obnoxiously loud. The page is otherwise interesting, but either turn your sound down or turn Flash off altogether.

4 comments:

jg said...

You wouldn't know how to pronounce Eemian, would you? I think it's "aye em ian" with emphasis on "em", but I don't find the word in my Academic Press Dictionary of Science and Technology, nor in my Websters and Heritage dictionaries.
thanks,
jg

Michael Tobis said...

hm, I was brung up by meteorologists... dunno...

David B. Benson said...

Named for the Dutch river, Eem.

jg said...

I contacted the Dutch consulate and asked how they would pronounce Eemian. Here's their reply:

"You would pronounce Eem, as in the English word 'aim' (as in: I aim for something). So: Eem = 'aim'. For the pronunciation of Eemian, it would be: 'aim-ee-un'. So the letter 'i', you would pronounce like a 'e'. And the letter 'u', like in the expression 'um'. "

jg